Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

ground cover mix under/btween river birches

plaidthumb
18 years ago

Two river birch trees about 15 feet apart in front (S. side) of house. The lower branches have been trimmed off because I won't have a tree I can't walk/mow/drive under. It's trimmed high enough that the southern edge of the bed is sunny, the middle is dappled throughout the day, and the northern edge is pretty much full shade.

I have a variety of perinniels between the trees; day lillies, dasies, hostas, Lillies of the Valley, astilbie (am I the only one who finds that to be a rather ugly plant?), daffodils, phlox, purple palace (moved it three times in 4 years b4 I found a place that it liked),and some purple heart (supposedly and annual--it's on its 4th year of returning...). I also have some ivy growing up the trees, but I keep it trimmed back on the ground--bad memories of snakes in a bed of ivy when I was a kid.

I planted some ajuga that did awesome the first two years, then it never returned. I'm a bit shy about trying it again.

I seem to have some kind of ground cover growing with little spikes of purple flowers. I have no idea what it is, and only vague memories of having planted it there. I think it was two years ago and I gave up on it. I'll keep it fertilized and watered--maybe it'll make a go of it.

Does any one have any ideas for different ground covers I could try? Evergreens are great, because it's just blah during the winter otherwise--not enough snow to hide the bareness. I'm not a big fan of those little evergreen-tree-like plants that spread out along the ground. I'm drawing a blank as to what they're called.

Thanks for any ideas you can supply.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists