Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing groundcover

Posted by lhgreenacres SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 05 at 0:07

We are laying a flagstone patio and want to use groundcover in between the spaces. Any advise on what kinds of groundcover are the most hardy? The other catch is that part is more full sun and then there is part underneath a gazebo eating area.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing groundcover

I just finished planting/installing my pathway yesterday. I used Bluestar Creeper, Creeping Thyme, wooly thyme, and Red Creeping thyme. There are many options you could try, not sure what part of SoCal you are or what zone, so I am not sure what your best options would be. You may want some sort of moss under the gazebo. I mixed the typed of plants used so I could put the bluestar creeper in the spots where I thought it might get too much water for the thyme. I tried to make it very random looking. I then mulched the whole thing with a small gravel.

good luck

o

There's a groundcover that will take full sun as well as shade that I really like - Cotula 'Platt's Black.' I don't see it used very often in my area at all, for some reason, so I consider it to be rather unusual-looking. It spreads quickly via underground rhizomes. Beautiful foliage that resembles tiny ferns in green/bronze tones. Also goes by the name Leptinella squalida 'Platt's Black'.

o

Leptinella is an excellent suggestion - it is a very adaptable groundcover with an immensely appealling appearance. And is heaven to walk on with bare feet, also :-) Plain green forms are available if the dusky tones of Platt's Black are not to your liking - it can look a bit burnt under certain conditions.

o
RE: Forgot to add

The burned look can result from insufficient water - this is not exactly the most drought tolerant of GC's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here