Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funlul

Elfin thyme dying / growing from seeds?

funlul
10 years ago

Hello all, new member here :) actually new to gardening as well, apologies in advance for noob questions.

3 weeks ago we planted some elfin thymes from flats for ground cover (ordered from local nursery). The instruction was to water very well when planting, then 2-3 times weekly for a month or two. Don't know what did we do wrong but 1/3 of the little ones are dying... We are not sure if we watered too much or too little each time. Any recommendations on what to do to at least rescue the rest? I talked to the nursery and emailed some pics but no response yet.

Location is southern California zone 8a, full sun, soil is sandy / stony / well drained, I don't know the exact soil type but maybe the photo can help. We tilled well and added a bit garden soil before planting, but did not do any PH test.

I also searched for seeds online (to replace the victims) and was surprised that no elfin thyme seeds can be found. The closest is the red flower 'magic carpet' variety but I am worried it's taller and will compete with these purple flower 'elfin' ones.

I really feel bad for them dying :'( ... Your help is greatly appreciated.

Before

{{gwi:851284}}

After

{{gwi:851285}}

{{gwi:851286}}

{{gwi:851287}}

This post was edited by jjane45 on Fri, May 10, 13 at 0:34

Comments (2)