Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewmt_gw

Grass ditches are awful. Please help a gardening noobie.

andrewmt
16 years ago

I'm new to the world of gardening, so please bear with me and my ignorance. I bought a house last summer with a fairly large (but boring) yard. I want to go the "natural garden" path and I also want to get rid of as much grass as possible. The grass ditches in the front and to the side of my house are without a doubt the worst part of the yard. The ditches are filled with grass and weeds that grow like there is no tomorrow, the angle makes mowing very difficult, there are many dry patches of exposed ground from (on steep angles), and I cannot take it anymore! I'm going through some of the posts similar to mine and there are some good suggestions.

I would like the groundcover to consist of junipers, ivy, and some other very low growing plant(s). Basically, plants that look good all year (mainly evergreens) and do not look weed-like (like some groundcover when it is not flowering). I'm in zone 7 and the ditches are in full sun, so I'm not sure if I can use these plants. I love almost all junipers, so I already bought several blue rug junipers. I'm told this is a fairly robust plant that can grow in dry soils (the sides of the ditches). Unfortunately, I cannot afford to fill over 300Ft of ditch with junipers at this time. I also want to buy some ivy, maybe for steeper parts of the ditch? Would English Ivy (my favorite) work, or is there a better substitute?

I think the ditches dry out pretty quick after rainfall, but there could be some poorly drained areas. For the areas in between the junipers and ivy and at the bottom of the ditch, I have found a few low-growing groundcover plants that I like: Creeping Thymus and Trailing Periwinkle. Anything close to these would be nice.

Beyond your plant suggestions (which I am very grateful for), I was also wondering the best way to kill the grass in the ditches. I really do not want to use Round-up or other chemicals. I read earlier that I could use the newspaper smother method combined with some type of netting (to hold the paper down). Then, once the grass is dead and the new plants are in the ground, how do I prevent erosion in areas where the plants have not covered the ground (especially if the groundcover used between and around the junipers is grown from seed)?

I apologize for my lengthy post, but I'm very excited and cannot wait to hear from you all!

Comments (2)

Sponsored