Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walk-On-Me

Posted by BlueBars 7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 10:18

I'm considering Thymus serpyllum 'Coccineum' and would like to hear any feedback about its spread--I don't want it to be too invasive. The catalog says:
"Walk-On-Me", a crimson carpet...creeping thyme that grows 3" tall...plant around flagstones or for groundcover...Walk on it and the whole area will be filled with the aromatic smell of fresh thyme...Grows well in shady and hard to plant areas, spreads rapidly.
Thanks in advance for any feedback or experiences you may have about this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walk-On-Me

I'd hardly call it aggressive- it spreads out, but isn't much of a bully (maybe because it's such a delicate little thing, soft thready stems, soft roots) when it comes to things that I expect out of 'invaders'- you don't have to worry about it popping up on the other side of the driveway, or colonizing your neighbor's rose beds.

it does take some foot traffic, but I wouldn't play football on it, eh?

the thymes do smell wonderful when crushed, though :)

o

Hi BlueBar,

I agree. It spreads quite a bit, but it spreads on the surface so you can control it fairly easily. I don't think you'll be very happy with it, though, if it's in less than a half day of sun. It's going to get leggy and wimpy looking if it doesn't get enough direct sun. If it's going to get a LOT of foot traffic, woolly thyme will hold up better, and if it's a large area, you might want to mix the different creeping thymes. The flowers come in white, different pinks, and 'Coccineus' is the brightest rosy-pink. Woolly thyme is lavender-pink. There's also a miniature creeping thyme ('Minus' or 'Minor') with tiny, tiny, tiny leaves and light pink flowers.

Enjoy,
Skybird

o

How do you plant the little things once you received them. I can't tell which end is up, or in this case, down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here