Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

possible good place for ajuga???

WendyB 5A/MA
16 years ago

I was thinking maybe I would get some going along the edge of my driveway (30'). The area along it is semi-cultivated, trees and shrubs widely spaced, lots of pine needles. Part shade. As the ajuga moves along throughout all the plantings, it will eventually (25') hit native woods.

Some thoughts/questions:

- masses of blue spikes in spring could be neat. My white Halesia is blooming now near the edge of the driveway and I was wondering what would look good under it. Ajuga definitely would look great. They are both on the same schedule.

- It would keep some of the nastier weeds in check (I think...)

- won't have to mulch... I just usually mulch about 2-3' of the edge. One less spring job is a good thing..

- will it withstand the snow plow in winter? Sometimes they get a bit aggressive pushing the snow back. If the ground is not well frozen sometimes dirt mounds get pushed back. I suppose any damages would self-heal soon enough. :-)

- will I regret this decision 5 years from now?

- there are some wet areas in early spring.

- I eventually want to put more shrubs in there once I figure out where the paths and areas are.

- will the spent flowers look messy? Can I send the string trimmer crew in there to knock them down?

- will it co-exist with other groundcovers I may decide to put in nearby later?

Comment (1)

Sponsored