Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helping my Dragon's Blood spread

Posted by keving63 z7MD (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 11:11

I read that dragon's blood sedum needs soil contact to spread. Would it help if I spreaded a thin layer of top soil on top of my newly planted sedum ? Or would the soil smother the sedum ?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helping my Dragon's Blood spread

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 05 at 11:55

Spreading a bit of soil over the stems would probably speed up the rooting, but you could also snip short peices off, remove the lower leaves, put them together in little groups of 4-8 cuttings, and stick them into the ground where you want them to grow. Water them in and don't water again till the soil's dry. Most of them will root, and when any of the stems get long enough again, do it all over. This should spread them even faster than just waiting for them to root and spread on their own. You don't need all tip cuttings to do this, either. If the stems are long enough, you can cut each one into several pieces. Just be sure you're sticking the BOTTOM end of the stem into the soil.

Happy propagating,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here