Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for dry shade hill with weeds

Posted by ankh 4a (MN) (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:14

I have about an acre. My house is on a hill. The area immediately around the house is developed, but the rest is mature woods - maples, basswood, oak, etc. And plenty of weeds. I took out some trees last year and where there is now more light (but still shade), I either have a) moist, leaf-covered soil under heavy shade, or b) in greater sun and with less tree coverage, a fairly bare (except for weeds and scrappy saplings) sharp hill down that appears to be quite dry.

I'm looking for suggestions for groundcover, particularly for the dry, semi-bare sections. And given this is woods, should I be prepping the soil in some way (other than trying to eradicate weeds??)? It's a pretty large space, so fast-growing would be nice. And I really don't love pachysandra, so I consider that a sort of last resort (though I'm sure an improvement over the current look).

Second, for the shaded, moister portion of the hill (the front of the house, about 100 feet from the road, so a fairly long vista up, in terms of the public's view), should I/could I take out some of the leaves blanketing the floor? Or is there groundcover that would work through that. The top of the hill - the end of the developed area - is a relatively small lawn, a bed w/stone wall at one end, and then ferns are going to be put in to transition to the woodland area - so I'm thinking about down past the ferns..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for dry shade hill with weeds

• Posted by ankh 4a (MN) (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:47

Okay, as a follow-up piece of information, I just discovered that the more bare part of the hill has a few jack-in-the-pulpits in the shadier parts, fi that gives any context as to soil and light conditions (though from what I've read, these wildflowers can grow in a variety of conditions).

o
RE: Groundcover for dry shade hill with weeds

I like Epimedium for shade, it doesn't require much watering and spreads slowly. Here it is behind a row of small Hosta, and there is some Solomon's Seal.

Photobucket

The leaves and dry material on the ground provide mulch and will keep weeds down and minimize watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here