Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering what this plant is!

Posted by grullablue 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 11:46

Every day on my way to work, in a few different yards, I'm seeing this beautiful plant. I live near Madison, WI, and it's a groundcovering plant I see usually hanging down rock walls or retaining block walls. The flowers are purple, and it grows VERY thick.

I have rock walls on my property, and we didn't know enough to put a weed barrier down before the rocks were placed, so now I'm considering planting something beautiful between the rocks in the big spaces to add some color, and to grow out weeds. I don't know what this plant is, I never see anyone outside when I drive by, but these plants are just beautiful, and look like they were just meant for my purpose!

Does anyone have an idea of what they might be? Very low growing, very thick, with TONS of purple flowers everywhere. And they just hang off the sides of these walls I see them on, it's just beautiful!

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering what this plant is!

It sounds like Creeping Phlox?

Here is a link that might be useful: creeping phlox images

o

Maybe Homestead Purple Verbena?

Here is a link that might be useful: Homestead verbena

o

Blooming so early in the season, it sounds like purple rock cress, Aubretia. Comes in a variety of colors although the purple seems to be the most popular. And the most showy! Very easy to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple Aubretia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here