Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersun_gw

Looking for sun loving ground covers

flowersun
18 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum on Gardenweb... just spotted you and am glad I did. I live in Zone 9a Florida, and I'm looking for a nice sun loving ground cover preferably evergreen, also some flowering, that will allow perennials to pop through it. Must love full sun.

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

Check out Verbena 'Homestead Purple'. It will bloom most of the summer.

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The verbena did not do that well in my garden. I did try it.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Asiatic Jasmine will take full sun in Florida.

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to post the choices I've been narrowing down to in another thread.

• dorry2
    18 years ago

I planted the Homestead Purple, and while it grewbeautifully last summer and spread, it did not make it through the winter. I was very disappointed because I like ground cover as opposed to mulching every spring. I like the entire garden covered with a low-lying ground cover and thought this verbena would do the trick. Now I am back to square one trying to find a quick spreading ground cover.

• sandy_9a_fl_gulf
    14 years ago

Florasun,
    Where can I find that new thread? I am replacing my dead lawn with groundcover too. Full sun...but I have found a great light shade plant that only spreads to the sunny edge in the lawn and is green all year.
    Sandy

• christophernftl
    14 years ago

sandy_9a_fl_gulf,

If you find any information please let me know, I am in Fort Lauderdale and desperately seeking something quick spreading to replace the sad St. Augustine in the backyard.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Here is a link for you-

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Carpet

• senjanevada
    14 years ago

I bought yellow ice plant from HD or Lowes Fall last year. It spread out fast. Flowers have been blooming all year long. We had snow in winter and 110F in Summer. They are still here, happy, blooming and spreading. Beautiful.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures