Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for sun loving ground covers

Posted by flowersun z9 FL (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 12:03

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum on Gardenweb... just spotted you and am glad I did. I live in Zone 9a Florida, and I'm looking for a nice sun loving ground cover preferably evergreen, also some flowering, that will allow perennials to pop through it. Must love full sun.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for sun loving ground covers

Check out Verbena 'Homestead Purple'. It will bloom most of the summer.

o

The verbena did not do that well in my garden. I did try it.

o

Asiatic Jasmine will take full sun in Florida.

o

I'm going to post the choices I've been narrowing down to in another thread.

o

I planted the Homestead Purple, and while it grewbeautifully last summer and spread, it did not make it through the winter. I was very disappointed because I like ground cover as opposed to mulching every spring. I like the entire garden covered with a low-lying ground cover and thought this verbena would do the trick. Now I am back to square one trying to find a quick spreading ground cover.

o

Florasun,
Where can I find that new thread? I am replacing my dead lawn with groundcover too. Full sun...but I have found a great light shade plant that only spreads to the sunny edge in the lawn and is green all year.
Sandy

o

sandy_9a_fl_gulf,

If you find any information please let me know, I am in Fort Lauderdale and desperately seeking something quick spreading to replace the sad St. Augustine in the backyard.

o

Here is a link for you-

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Carpet

o

I bought yellow ice plant from HD or Lowes Fall last year. It spread out fast. Flowers have been blooming all year long. We had snow in winter and 110F in Summer. They are still here, happy, blooming and spreading. Beautiful.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here