Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how does creeping phlox spread/create new growth?

Posted by adk13 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 12:34

I bought some of the blue/purple creeping phlox. It is so small right now. All the flowers fell off during transplant. I planted it in the front yard garden area, which as felt down, then river rock. I cut a portion of the felt and moved the rocks. I am wondering...will the phlox only creep if it can come up from the ground or does it grow bigger from the current stems? (if that makes sense)....meaning am I going to have to move more rock and cut out the felt or will the phlox grow along the rocks, even though it can't root in the ground because of the felt? Thanks for any help/info!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how does creeping phlox spread/create new growth?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 26, 07 at 22:44

It expands in mass at the base the stem...It won't do that in that weed cloth and river rock.
In fact nothing much will do worth a darn in that combination for very long at all.
My advice and the advice of many many gardeners is get rid of that felt stuff and the rock and mulch with organic matter...wood chips, sawdust. cocoa bean shells pine needles or whatever else you like...but the purpose of a mulch is to keep the soil cool and moist and rocks get very very hot and there is no exchange of air beneath that fabric stuff, no worms no composting of mulch going on and eventually the fabric will become full of silt and you will have a garden that can't get water, so the roots of your plants will grow on top of the fabric....and all the bits and pieces of stuff that falls will create a layer beneath the rocks....and in spite of it all you will get weeds growing in the rock.
Ask me how I know!!!
Sorry about the rant...but I spent a lot of time helping my daughter get some plantings in shape that had that stuff down for about 6 years before they bought the house. Lots of grunt labor, but we did it. Then they had another child and moved....and guess what!? There was more of that stuff in the new house...but this time it had bind weed growing in the fabric itself.
Linda C

o
RE: how does creeping phlox spread/create new growth?

I planted candy stripe subulata phlox last year, AND this year on the west side of a very tall oak tree. I have created a raised bed around it and thought this would be the perfect plant to fill in the crevices. I have put in good dirt, mulched, planted my phlox, used Miracle Grow quick start, watered frequently and they are dying....again. I don't get it, they are supposed to LIKE the sun and they die. I did buy them in large pots from a good local greenhouse and divided them into 3x3 sections so they would spread...perhaps that's the issue? I am frustrated that my phlox won't grow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this newbie is doing wrong?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here