Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

'Golden' Jenny vs. 'Creeping' Jenny

bobby1973
15 years ago

is 'golden jenny' the same thing as 'creeping jenny'? i've heard how invasive 'creeping jenny' can be. but i recently saw 'golden jenny' groundcover at my local nursery, and loved its appearance. however before i buy it, i just want to make sure that it's not as invasive as creeping jenny, of if they're indeed just the same plant. please let me know.

thanks!

bobby~

Comments (5)

• mdensford
    15 years ago

They are the same. There's another creeping jenny that is darker green. I'm in the process of trying to get it out of some of my beds. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't choking out my more delicate plants like oxalis. It does well in hanging baskets and decorative pots. Proceed with caution!

• Vicki
    15 years ago

I don't think that's right. Creeping jenny is a green weed. Golden jenny is golden colored and less invasive.

• mdensford
    15 years ago

I checked to make sure I wasn't misleading anyone. Lysimachia mummularia "Aurea" is the lime green to yellow Golden Creeping Jenny. There are darker green species just named Lysimachia nummularia L. They are sold as annuals in some northern states and even banned in Mass. for their invasivness. They are on the "pest" list in TN also. Hope this is helpful.

• thisismelissa
    15 years ago

I have some of the golden jenny. Lysimachia mummularia "Aurea" indeed. I keep mine WELL AWAY from my lawn. Here's some info I found:

Hardiness Zones: 3 to 8
    Height: 6 in Spread: 12 in
    Type: herbaceous perennial
    Flowers: Yellow

Comments: Creeping Jenny (Vis. 1) can be used as a ground
    cover and will tolerate shade. As an alternative, the plant
    may be grown in a hanging pot. The plant also produces
    yellow flowers (Vis. 2). Use it with caution as Creeping
    Jenny can become a lawn weed. The plant prefers a moist
    soil and can be used near water.

Propagation: Propagation is by division in autumn or
    spring and may be needed to keep the plant under control.
    Cuttings may also be used.

Cultivars:
    'Aurea' - The leaves are bright yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reference

• bibbus 7b
    10 years ago

So I saw this beautiful plant at my nursery and planted it in a bed a couple of years ago. It spread and I just dug it up this morning and it had grown in to some of my perennials. There is no way I got all the roots. Does this mean I have just made the situation worse? It hasn't been terribly invasive but it didn't look that good as a ground cover as it does hanging out of pots I've seen. It had brown spots and the color was uneven. I plan to put pine bark mulch down but should I do more to prevent it from returning? Or will I just be able to pull out the new growth pretty easily?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors