Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this groundcover-Sorry about quality

Posted by hbwright z8a SC (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 05 at 13:31

I am letting a friend use my digital so I used my phone for the pictures. My mom has this as as a groundcover between stepping stones and I have some thrown in a pot until I know what to do with it. I just noticed some small yellow flowers on it and thought about using it where I am planning on putting a walking path from my driveway to my frontdoor. It would go in order of this groundcover whick will be walked on rarely, a stepping stone path and then my tall fescue lawn. Anybody with information on this plant?
View from top.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

View from side.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It stays low but seems to get kind of bushy when it grows. It doesn't look to be very invasive, just a fast grower but I want to be sure before I'm out there for hours on end pulling it from my lawn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this groundcover-Sorry about quality

it's a sedum. I have the exact same one at my house, actually- starts out as rosettes, which over the course of the summer turn into something like a charm bracelet of little diamond-shaped leaves.

it will take some foot traffic (it squishes easily, but bounces back fast) and it's pretty much unpeturbed by anything but boggy conditions.

o

This sedum roots very very easily. I tossed some (I thought they were) dead ends into a corner for pick up later and they rooted and grew... now have a nice patch. I have most of mine in an old turkey feeder where they do quite nicely. The patch in the corner has grown quickly, but it doesn't seem invasive and it is easy to pull.

o

I received a bag of cuttings of this from a plant trade. I have now (2 years later) given it to the whole neighborhood. It grows like crazy, but it's roots are super shallow so it can be pulled out very easily. I am not sure about it by a path since it would break when you step on it, although there is so much it would grow right back. It also would have a tendancy to grow over the path itself as some of the pieces I have are at least 15-18 inches long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here