Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Looking for Specific Groundcover for Zone 5B IL

lovefornature
15 years ago

I am looking for some groundcover that is perennial for my Zone5B IL weather.

It will be in sun and shade.

Specifically, I would like something that blooms small white flowers (yellow might work too) around 3 inches tall. I would also like something that might bloom all summer. I prefer the leaves to be on the medium side of color (not light green).

It doesn't necessary have to be invasive. I would prefer if it is invasive, it is easy to just pluck up.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I know that I am very picky, sorry about that. :(

Thanks all!!

Comments (3)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

Ajuga varietes have different leaves and different colored flowers but can become invasive and stays green/brown/red year round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

sweet woodruff might work for you. but the leaves tend to get a bit coarse as the year goes by. they flush small and bright green in the spring, with white flowers and grow larger over the season and darken to forest green about mid summer and stay green most of the winter, but by feb/march there isn't much left.

vinca might have a white blossom form but usually its purple

diggerb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Wild strawberry or Fragaria chiloensis or vesca would be a good choice. Tolerant of a huge range of climate and soil condtions, spreads well and produces white blossoms sporadically from spring to fall. Vinca minor 'Alba' is also a good choice but has a limited spring bloom, as does the sweet woodruff and the ajuga (and the white flowered form of ajuga is difficult to find).

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21