Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

alternative ideas for groundcover: clay, part shade

topie
14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has any evergreen groundcover suggestions for a compacted, clay soil area in partial shade. In Mid-Atlantic region (Zone 6).

The area definitely does NOT have humus-rich, woodland soil or dappled shade.

The ground we'd like to cover is on the east side of the house, and gets full, unobstructed morning sun, with deep afternoon shade. There are no trees above it.

Currently, there is some hairy moss growing in this area that is interspersed with a few low growing weeds. However, when digging down, the soil seems a little on the dry side, probably because the area is on top of a gentle slope.

We're tempted to just throw in some vinca (which thrives on the west side of the house) or pachysandra and be done with it. But we'd like to explore some alternative options. Are hoping to find something evergreen, hardy to Zone 6, that spreads well.

For reference, here are the other native and non-native plants and trees that thrive near the house: wild strawberry, wild ginger, wild raspberry, pokeweed, stinging nettle, iris, daylily, peonies, bleeding heart, hosta, all types of sedum, yew, spruce, juniper, holly, black walnut, and dogwood.

We have lots of critters that like to munch things in the garden, including rabbits and groundhogs. No deer.

Any groundcover thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• Mary4b
    14 years ago

not quite evergreen, but a wonderful non-invasive groundcover that critters do not like is geranium macrorrhizum, sometimes called bigroot geranium. In my zone, it is one of the first green things in my garden, nearly evergreen. Comes in different colors...easy to find one is Bikova, but I like Ingwersens' pink flower better. Foliage is always pretty, turns red in fall. Has a nice pine scent when you are close. Just starting to flower in my zone right now, so let's say late spring. Easy to move where you want it. Dry shade, shade and even sun in my zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: geranium macrorrhizum links

• topie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, geranium macrorrhizum is a great idea! I just got some for another area of the garden, but it didn't occur to me to try it in our moss area. I love the Ingwersen's...so pretty.

Ended up planting a small patch of pachysandra, but there is still plenty of area to be covered so will plant a geranium area too and see what happens. I didn't know about the foliage turning red in autumn--I think that will be really nice looking, and the red will be a good way to brighten up the shade area in the fall. From what I've read, by the time the foliage goes dormant for the winter it will be covered with snow?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

-topie

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I interplanted G. macrorrhizum with ground cover Comfrey, Symphytum grandiflorum, and they do well together, but the
    Symphytum is tougher than weeds and invasive, blooms in the spring, useful for very poor areas.

I like the brightness of Pulmonaria foliage and it is not invasive but will self-sow. It has lovely early spring color.

Epimedium has choice leaves and small flowers in early spring, and spreads slowly.

• topie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much for the suggestions! Pulmonaria sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about Pulmonaria officinalis "Sissinghurst White."

Will try a small area of the Geranium macrorrhizum and the Pulmonaria and see how they do this year.

Thanks again for helping to save our yard from the monotony and endless spread of Vinca minor!

Sponsored