Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Creeping Jenny for Woodland Garden ?

bobby1973
9 years ago

Hi folks - I have this large wooded area in the back of my new home. When I first moved in a few months ago, the wooded area was full of brush probably about 6-7' tall, under a canopy of mature, deciduous trees. I hired someone to clear all the brush in the winter and it looked beautiful until a month ago. Now I can see all the invasive green brush sprouting back up. So I'm in the process of spraying Roundup 'Brush Killer', wait 2-3 weeks, and then uproot all the brush. But I would like to convert that area to a beautiful woodland garden at some point. So I planted some 8' white pines, and I'm going to mix in some hostas, ferns, and astilbe. But I thought it would be great to have a colorful groundcover as well. I'm just wondering if Creeping Jenny would be a good option. It's invasiveness would certainly create a colorful 'carpet' quickly and hopefully help fight off the brush from coming back. I just don't know if the Jenny would compete with the surrounding hostas and ferns for moisture. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could kindly offer. Thank you!

bobby

Comments (2)

• devolet
    9 years ago

Creeping jenny sucks up water like a sponge and can turn brown if it does not get enough of it. It grows in water as an aquatic plant here if CA. I live in the woods and the best ground cover I've had is archangel lamium which is what the photo is of. It does well under trees and can grow in dark shade. The deer hate it because its aromatic and snails won't touch it. The roots are matting surface roots that can smother other weeds. You may need to clear it a bit around your host as to not let it overtake them. It stays fairly low but can send out some long twining stems. I have it mixed with other ground covers that it works well with. Baby tears around your tree trunks might be a nice accent if that works in zone 7. Archangel lamium gets yellow flowers on it in the spring.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Yellow Archangel is very invasive here in the Seattle area. Sunset says it's easily curbed, but I haven't found that to be true in my woods where it reseeds and has been VERY difficult to eradicate.
    I've been using vinca minor and hardy geranium to keep most weeds under control in a woodsy environment of trees and shrubs.
    Mike
    Hardy geranium.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery