Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for very sunny slope

Posted by Diggity_MA 5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 14:54

We have about a 600 sqft slope that faces directly South at an angle of about 30 degrees. We tried in vain to get grass to grow here, but the sun just burns it to death. The soil in that area is lousy - low pH and stony. I could amend the soil, but I'd rather save my compost for the vegetable garden and use some type of ground cover here that doesn't mind extreme sun and poor soil.

So I guess the requirements are:

1) Can withstand intense sun.

2) Inexpensive.

3) Spreads relatively quickly

4) Tolerates poor soil.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Diggity

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for very sunny slope

Oh yeah - forgot to mention, I'm in Zone 5.

-Diggity

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 05 at 18:25

I'm in zone 5 with a slope in my backyard that has all the same lovely characteristics you list. Covering it is a variety of sedums and rug junipers. The trick was to plant them in pockets so they could catch and hold rain water.

Over the years, the lilacs and wisteria have become established and now part of the slope is shaded. Periwinkle and hosta grow on the shaded part.

o

Daylilies will work. And I have seen Stela D Oros pretty cheap. If I were you I would divide them so they are only one or two fans when you plant them they will fill in like crazy. Ornamental grasses usually like hot sun. Some varieties spread through runners and would fill the slope. Both daylilies and grasses can take poor soil.

There was an article in Backyard Living a couple months ago about a man who gardened on such a slope he tied a rope around his waist and secured himself to tree while doing so. What he created on this San Frasisco Hillside was quite incredible You might see if you can find the back issue at your local library. It was a good article. Made be stop whining about my little slopes.

Do you have a view of this slope from your house or is this projects strictly for erosion control?

Vinca minor is recommeded for erosion control on sunny slopes, although I think it is prettier in part shade, it will do the job you need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here