Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Pachysandra?

Posted by WalksInDarkness z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 05 at 15:01

Hi All,

I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if this is available at Lowes and/or Home Depot. Or is it something I will have to get at a Nursery?

TIA,
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Pachysandra?

It is available at each, but unless you know of absolutely no one who has some, you should get starts from a friend. I originally bought a flat of 50 plants and got yelled at by everyone who already had it growing. All you need to do is pull out pieces with a bit of root attached. When you plant it, I found it's easiest to wrap the long stem around my hand and then insert this into a hole. It also likes nice loamy soil. If you have clay, I've used a bulb digger thing to make holes and then put in ammended soil. Have covered at least 5000 sq. ft. using the original 50 plants.

o

I gotta agree with Susan- I bought a flat from our local greenhouse, and I swear only half of the plants survived- I spent an afternoon grooming a neighbor's bed for them, got a washtub full of starts, and snacks besides, and they're doing just fine, though susan's right- they don't spread as fast in my parent's rather harsh red clay soil.

o

I agree. If you have a neighbor or friend with a bed of Pachysandra, that's the best way to get plants. I don't and just planted a couple of flats of Pachysandra. Make sure you plant it in good soil in a shady area and water, water, water while it is getting established. I mulch with shredded oak leaves. I planted a small patch last fall in my New Jersey garden and the deer ignored it all winter so this year, it's full speed ahead. Welcome Pachysandra!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here