Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Pachysandra?

Posted by WalksInDarkness z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 05 at 15:01

Hi All,

I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if this is available at Lowes and/or Home Depot. Or is it something I will have to get at a Nursery?

TIA,
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Pachysandra?

It is available at each, but unless you know of absolutely no one who has some, you should get starts from a friend. I originally bought a flat of 50 plants and got yelled at by everyone who already had it growing. All you need to do is pull out pieces with a bit of root attached. When you plant it, I found it's easiest to wrap the long stem around my hand and then insert this into a hole. It also likes nice loamy soil. If you have clay, I've used a bulb digger thing to make holes and then put in ammended soil. Have covered at least 5000 sq. ft. using the original 50 plants.

o

I gotta agree with Susan- I bought a flat from our local greenhouse, and I swear only half of the plants survived- I spent an afternoon grooming a neighbor's bed for them, got a washtub full of starts, and snacks besides, and they're doing just fine, though susan's right- they don't spread as fast in my parent's rather harsh red clay soil.

o

I agree. If you have a neighbor or friend with a bed of Pachysandra, that's the best way to get plants. I don't and just planted a couple of flats of Pachysandra. Make sure you plant it in good soil in a shady area and water, water, water while it is getting established. I mulch with shredded oak leaves. I planted a small patch last fall in my New Jersey garden and the deer ignored it all winter so this year, it's full speed ahead. Welcome Pachysandra!

o
When to plant in Zone 6

Can Pachysandra be successfully planted in zone 6 during November?
Email is dennyroni_46@outlook.com

o

As long as the ground is workable and you have access to lots of liquid water and there are no freezes in sight, you can put pachysandra in the ground successfully. Cultivate the soil deeply, loosen it and add lots of rotten down organic matter, and plant carefully. Mulch with lots of fast-rotting organic mulches like shredded leaves and grass clippings.

I have this beautiful variegated pachysandra in some of my shady spots and it really brightens up the area without being weedy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Pachysandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here