Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for 'groundcover roses'?

Posted by townhouserOnt z6aOnt (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 15:05

I have groundcover roses growing in the full-full sun front yard, z6a, Great Lakes.
Every winter they die to the ground and in the spring the new growth begin to emerge. This takes time - to the end of May (last frost date May,9).

Question is: what can be used to fill bare ground between roses, which later will be covered by rose branches? One that will not interfere with roses' roots.

I tried: wooly thyme, Elfin thyme, dianthus, armeria maritima, arenaria verna, aegopodium podagraria, and (out of line, big, but very early folliage, z2) - oriental poppy. Spring bulbs also, of course, but squirrels deadheaded not only tulips, but daffofils also... Right next to the Fritillaria Imperialis.

Not much success yet with low-growing groungcovers - they grow very-very slowly, thymes have dead bare branches in the center (3rd yr of growing). I was cautioned that watering and fertilizing of the roses could interfere with grouncover development.

Any ideas about grouncover compatible with groundcover roses, that visible already in April-May (days warm, but night temperatures are slightly above freezing)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for 'groundcover roses'?

check out katrinal sp? post on the rose ground cover thread. I believe she mentioned some or least made the same suggestion. If she didn't mention no doubt a post would bring them forth. I'm interested also. Also for a rose bed with upright types.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here