Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is lawn replacement meets our impossible demands?

Posted by gnachman 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 15:24

We moved into a house that has about 1000 sqft of dirt in the back yard. It's perfectly flat, with a few big trees. Some of it gets direct sun, some is partial shade. We really want to avoid grass since we hate mowing and don't want to waste water on irrigating it every summer, but I'm starting to think it's the only plant that can stand the abuse of two kids and a dog.

Is there some groundcover that survives in Sunnyvale, CA (temps between 25 degrees and 100 degrees and absolutely no rain for 6 months), takes minimal water, and can stand the abuse of elementary-school aged children playing in it?

If the answer is "no", then is there anything that requires low-to-moderate watering but can take the abuse and won't require mowing? I'd sooner water than mow.

I really don't want to do gravel, mulch, or rubber for aesthetic reasons - it needs to be a plant, preferably green or close to green.

Thanks!
-George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is lawn replacement meets our impossible demands?

Some people try Dymondia margaretae, Silver Carpet, but I don't know personally how well it does and how much abuse it can take, other than growing it in a bed and finding it's not reliably hardy where I live, though it spreads rapidly. I think you could find feedback for it on the internet.

I tried Lippia in San Diego, it spreads well but attracts lots of bees with the flowers, which isn't desirable with children. Some people try Woolly Thyme.

You might get useful info on the Stepables website, they have lots of ground covers and searchable information. Or look for successful gc in your area, walk around your neighborhood or Palo Alto and see what is used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here