Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

Groundcover Mulch?!?!?

ebrathedebra
17 years ago

I have a very large island bed of 4 mature trees under which I have planted periwinkle last spring and this spring. Now that some of the plants are sending out runners (which is what I want)- how do I go about mulching? Should I cover up the runners and just mulch up to the main plant? I just seems counterproductive to me. (Eventually I want a periwinkle carpet so I don't have to mulch!) Or should I just leave this bed alone and not mulch?

I am new at this (first house) so if this seems like a very obvious question, I apologize!

Comments (4)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

If it were me, I don't think I would mulch. I'm not a big mulcher, lol. If I did mulch, I would probably just use compost or maybe a layer of shredded leaves. How big is the bed and how much of it is bare right now? Can you live with that bare area until the periwinkle grows in?

:)
    Dee

• ebrathedebra
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Dee:

Thanks for your reply. My only concern about not mulching is controlling the weeds and little treelets that pop up.

The area is pretty large and has periwinkle planted all over it (new plantings - it hasn't "filled in" yet). If I didn't mulch I would be saving myself a lot of expense and work but I just don't want to make things worse for myself later by ending up with a bed of weeds. Hopefully the periwinkle will fill in on its own and block out the weeds.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Do you have access to leaves this time of year? (You know, piled in the back of the yard somewhere?) If so, try shredding them up and using them as mulch. It would be free, and help the soil in the bed also. I don't really love the look of it myself, but I do use them because it works well.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• Josh
    17 years ago

A light mulch won't hurt your new plants but honestly you'll still have weeds/tree seedlings. The mulch will just make them a little easier to pull out. For the first couple of years a newly planted groundcover needs weeding and then every year thereafter you'll have a drastic reduction but still a few. Even with no Oak trees in our yard we still had Oak seedlings thanks to squirrels...and I soon learned not to feed the little darlin's Pecans...LOL Good luck. josh