Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Salad as winter to spring groundcover

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 16:16

I experimented with using corn salad, Valerianella locusta, in some rose and perennial beds for a ground cover this year. I am pleased with how well it covers the ground and therefore crowds out some of the weeds that also grow in winter when it's hard to get out to weed.

It is planted in the late summer or early fall, or allowed to self-sow, or scatter seed when it ripens in early summer. It grows during the winter and can be harvested as individual leaves, which are small, or the whole plant can be cut off and used. It flowers, tiny white flowers, in late spring then goes to seed in early summer and will self-sow freely in my zone. There are other varieties with larger leaves and one that is golden. It has a delicate flowery taste. I found reports of it being hardy in winter to zone 6 or possibly 5. Here is a photo from my garden, growing with Ajuga-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here