Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyannz7

Salsa Asiatic Jasmine

judyannz7
10 years ago

Earlier I posted this as a reply to a Texas gardener who was wondering about placing Asiatic Jasmine 'Salsa' in the ground as opposed to in a pot, concerned about whether it could be invasive. Although I have limited experience at this point, such a beautiful plant deserves a full garden review to help others decide whether it will be suitable for their gardens. So here's my experience:

A few of these plants were offered locally at one of the big box stores last fall, just in time for a new garden space we were developing at our new home in z6bOK. So we were a little out of the range of temperatures, but so far our limited two-year experience here has been that we are in a pocket of warmer, or at least more moderate weather patterns compared with the central OK plains, aka Tornado Alley. Additionally, the garden space is westerly facing under a mature Water Oak which holds its leaves all winter, modifying the afternoon sun, with a full patio roof to the north, both giving some winter protection. The soil is fragile and we really need errosion protection in this area.

In the mixed garden space are Yaupon, hosta, pachyasandra, daylily seedlings (of course), Hydrangea Bombshell, a feather-leaved Mahonia, and Rhododendron, with a vareigated sedum in the drier more sunlit area. Other groundcover did not survive the lack of sunlight, the six-pack Papillon chasing squirrels and bunnies, the fall drought or winter in general. Not that it is really an unfriendly place. There is a new hosta coming up, evidently a seedling.

So all that said, here's the report on 'Salsa'. It is doing very well, multi-colored leaves (the prettiest combination I could have ever imagined on one plant) with a glossy sheen. New shoots are abundant, and I have frightening observations of one shoot coming up about 8" from the parent plant! Not that I would mind it filling in the space, but I am concerned that it might be more safely planted in a different area bound by concrete whereas this area is bound only by tall fescue with a rock border between.
Judy Ann

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath