Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annoying! Help!

Posted by Lavar Missouri (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 17:47

Ok so the previous owners of my home had a fairly simple set of shrubs set up in front of my home. They apparently laid down white plastic. Then put small rocks on top of that. And planted a few small (very annoying bushes). I have completely dug up one side leaving only rocks and a little bit of plastic remaining. Im considering Mulch, Landscaping rock, (not sure how that would mesh with the ones there already), or I want to use a ground cover. Im fairly new to gardening and all this. Just want my house to look better in the front lol. I can post pics to whoever wants to help me more. It will be very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annoying! Help!

IMO the first step would be to remove all of the rocks and plastic- I don't think you will ever be happy with any other efforts until that is done. The plastic is especially worrisome as it impedes drainage and does not allow the soil to breathe,

Photos would help when you get to the point of planning new things, but best to do all the prep first- don't get ahead of yourself.

o
RE: Annoying! Help!

The plastic is worrisome! Find a way to take it out. Use landscape fabric if necessary to keep the rocks from mixing with the soil. It allows for drainage and adding nutrients while keeping the weeds from establishing too deeply. It might seem like a LOT of work but you will be happy in the end. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here