Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca minor from stem cuttings?

Posted by Janice_in_Ottawa z4b/5a ONT (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 18:27

Hello,

I have a friend with a very large area at the base of a small hill, 1200 square feet, that he would like to cover with vinca minor. With the large number of plants that would require, purchasing them from a nursery would be $$$. A neighbour will allow him to take cuttings from his sizeable vinca patch, however.

Would it be workable to take cuttings and try to root them in water for planting?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca minor from stem cuttings?

I started with only a few plants of vinca and rooted cuttings in moist vermiculite( I recall that the stems with new growth did the best)
Over the years I covered a very large area..then to start another area, I took a shovel and dug out clumps from the middle of the patch and transplanted to the new bed. The holes filled in quickly in the original bed and I also had sizable new plants to move to the new space.
Hope this makes sense.

o

certainly- if you're careful about it, you can get those rooted cuttings directly from the bed- every place a node (lump) touches the dirt, it will want to put out roots.

if thay aren't enough, then try to cut at the last node before the stem turns from brown to green, and root in damp perlite (sand will usually work, as well, as will sterile potting mix.)

o

Thanks for the helpful thoughts. Are you suggesting that the cuttings might root right on the site, rather than having to be rooted elsewhere (vermiculite, etc) first? If the area is well watered, would the cuttings root right on the spot, or would they wilt and die?

Many thanks,
Janice

o

Great idea Janice. I have the bright pink ones---they sure are perty! A question: Will they form a dense thicket, like a ground cover, and block out the weeds. Or will you have to tip-toe through them and weed every so often. I am getting my gardens started on my new property and was wondering if I can just plant big beds of flowers like vinca and have them serve as a ground cover to combat the weeds. Sorry to answer your questions with more questions. Cheers.

o

I just got 25 vinca bare-rooted plants on ebay for a total of $1 plus $5 shipping. I thought it was a great buy. They arrived in great condition and within 4 days. I never would have thought of Ebay for plants, but I was just surfing around and found them. What I was actually looking for was Illumination Vinca which has yellow leaves framed in green. The only place that I had actually found them was on the Dutch Gardens site.

o
RE: Vinca minor crowding out weeds?

Vinca minor does a wonderful job of covering the ground and crowding out the weeds in my yard. I love it for that reason. Most any evergreen ground cover will do the trick, but keep track of some of them as they can be invasive. You do not want them to crowd out your flowers. Barb C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here