Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
englishivy_gw

is primose evening a good ground cover?

englishivy
18 years ago

does it grow good in gravel clay type soil? does it spread fast? can it grow with grass?

thanks

englishivy

Comments (12)

• dclee123
    18 years ago

I planted one little tiny plant of this two summers ago thinking it was a cute little annual. Now I have a 4 x 15 foot bed of nothing but primrose. I happened to not have anything good growing in that area, so I needed groundcover anyway, but I suggest if you have no barriers then put them in before this guy takes over.

Also the primrose looks BEAUTIFUL because it is constantly blooming all at once all summer. Out of my whole beautiful garden that is what gets me the most complements because it is so pretty.

• butterbeanbaby
    18 years ago

Haven't planted any yet, but it must do great in clay soil... it's all over Missouri and we don't have soil, we have pottery supplies LOL.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Are you talking about the pink one--Mexican Evening Primrose, Oenothera berlandieri 'Siskiyou"? If so, it's TOTALLY invasive. There were a couple small plants already in at the house I moved into a year ago, and they were so pretty blooming that I left them in. I knew better! This spring it's coming up all over a 15' X 5' bed--INCLUDING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SIDEWALK! It's blooming now (and oh so pretty again!), but in a few weeks it's all going to be Rounduped! It'll grow anywhere, and if you have a place that you want covered with pretty pink flowers and it doesn't matter if it spreads far and wide, go for it.

Good luck,
    Skybird

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    18 years ago

Skybird, could you elaborate on the invasiveness? I have a very dry, clay-rocky soil street corner (near a sweet gum tree, no less) where I was going to try the primrose, since it seems to grow in such areas unattended around the city and I don't expect to be able to improve the conditions on my corner. It's fine with me if it takes over that whole corner area; but will it seed into other flowerbeds farther back in my yard?

18 years ago

Hi Frankie,

From what you've described, I'd say you have the perfect place to use them! They don't spread by seed, so you don't have to worry about that, but they do spread far and wide by underground rhizomes. I was surprised to find mine coming up on the other side of a 3' sidewalk this spring (and in the sidewalk cracks all the way across!), but this is a watered area, and in an unwatered area like you're describing, I don't think it would do that---and if it did, you could control it with an occasional spritz of weed killer if you caught it early. They really are beautiful, long-blooming plants, and you'll have an impressive display if you decide to use them. I know of several places in San Francisco where they're used next to the sidewalks along roads, and they're wonderful. Mine, unfortunately, have to go because they're taking over EVERYTHING else in the bed they're in, and I don't want to wind up with nothing but Mexican Evening Primrose! (They are oh-so-pretty right now---I wish you could see them.

If you decide to put them in, plan to water them well once a week for the first couple months, and that should help get them off to a good running start. I'd also recommend spreading some small bark mulch or other wood mulch around them when you plant them to help keep the weeds down, keep the soil moist, and to make it look nice while they're spreading.

Here's a link to more information about them.

Enjoy,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Evening Primrose

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    18 years ago

Thank you! I am going to try them. I was thinking of trying a couple of kinds of tough plants and let them duke it out for king of the hell-corner!

• indylars
    18 years ago

These must also be aggressive self seeders too. I started with one small start last summer and now have it all over. I am keeping an eye on the seed pods to see what they do.

18 years ago

Hi Lars,

I've never known this stuff to reseed aggressively, but would be very interested to know about it if you find it does, so would you please post it when you decide if it does or not. Since I plan to kill all of mine off soon, I won't be able to watch it. As near as I can tell, mine is spreading underground.

Thanks,
    Skybird

• gabehart
    18 years ago

Ours spread under ground also. There may be some seed spreading but the aggressiveness comes from the roots. Even using Round Up there may be some that pop up in other areas because the roots are tough boogers.
    I love our plot of Evenings but they are in an area I want them to spread.
    Here's my drawback though. Come the heat of summer (late July and August) they die back. Is it just me?

• indylars
    18 years ago

Been digging mine up and yes finding extensive root systems!

• GrammySharron
    18 years ago

I am so glad to find this thread. I just bought some Mexican Evening Primrose (soft pink) at the grocery store and was going to plant it next to my hot pink knockout rose in the small sunny area south of the house. But I read the tag 1st which said to plant it in a buried pot if I don't want it to spread. So here I am reading all your comments before planting it. I think I will plant this one little 12 inch pot in the ground with the Primrose within. Do you think this will be safe or should I take it back and get my money back now? Has anyone buried it in a sunken container to control it?

18 years ago

Hi Sharron,

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it grew out of the holes in the bottom of the pot, so carefully consider before putting it in. Once I manage to get rid of mine, I'll never, ever put any in again. I'll just enjoy it taking over other people's yards!

Good luck,
    Skybird