Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Ground cover for a tropical (zone 11) greenhouse

bihai
17 years ago

I have never posted on this forum before and am hoping there is someone who might help give me suggestions.

I have a large greenhouse (over 1700 sq ft) that is maintained as a tropical zone 11 house, meaning temp is never below 55F night or day 365 days a year. The plants grown inside range from orchids and bromeliads to heliconias, ultratropical gingers, and rare palms, and a lot of other stuff. ALmost everything is planted directly into the ground, like at a botanical garden. The plantings are about 3 years old.

I have recently done major changes to get the greenhouse to look more "natural". There is a pond and a stream, some wood and stones.

I need ideas for tropical looking ground covers that will be amenable to letting the large growing plants grow through them, will not climb, and will mix well with ferns and the like.

I have some Peacock Fern, which is wonderful, I must get some more, but other than that I have nothing. It needs to be tough enough for me to walk on. Flowers are a plus but not necessary. Colored foliage is preferable to blooms.

I tried the Bolivian wandering Jew, with the small iridescent silver and purple leaves, but it took over and started climbing the walls and getting out UNDER the walls. Bad news.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!