Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need evergreen groundcover for shade

Posted by philosopher Zone 5a WI (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 19:26

hi--i have asked this question numerous times over the years, but everything i try doesn't seem to work. we have an easement strip between the sidewalk and the street. there is a huge basswood tree there. the grass wasn't doing well at all, plus it is a real hassle to mow (basswood roots all over the place). so i got rid of the grass, and now i need an evergreen groundcover that will work in that area. it seems to drain very well. i have already tried mother of thyme, but the basswood provides too much shade.

i thought about pachysandra. what do you all think about that? what about sweet woodruff? i need something that will provide some late fall/winter/early spring interest if at all possible.

one last caveat: we are in wisconsin, and the area will get lots of snow as the plows do their jobs. it does drain really well, though, which is surprising.

help! i can't go on with this awful looking strip for much longer. thank you! kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need evergreen groundcover for shade

Periwinkle (vinca minor).

But I hope you have flame throwers handy.

Give it some loose soil to root into, water to get it established, and then try to keep it from eating small children and pets.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not plant pachysandra, ever. At least periwinkle only spreads by runners, and it is shallow rooted.

o
RE: need evergreen groundcover for shade

I'm not sure why the extreme feelings about pachysandra - it is no more aggressive or potentially invasive than vinca :-) And just as easy to control the spread if attempting to encroach on areas where not wanted. It is extremely cold tolerant, evergreen and prefers a shady position, much the same as vinca and they can be used interchangeably. The harsher the zone and the growing conditions, the less likely either of these will get out of control.

It is important to remember that one of the primary functions of a groundcover is to cover real estate, so a more or less aggressively spreading habit is desirable. With any kind of groundcover, some sort of routine maintenance is going to be necessary to keep the plants restricted to their specific area - nothing is plant and forget :-) Otherwise, taller growing but more clumping forming shrubs or perennials may be appropriate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here