Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennth3

Too many groundcovers

jennth3
14 years ago

This is our first spring in a new state and a new house. One of the previous owners was very found of groundcovers, and in the backyard, there are a number of them. Most of this area is shaded by a mature japenese maple, but some of it is at least partially sunny.

This area is split in three parts by two paths. The shadiest has what I think is wild strawberry and some sort of variegated periwinkle growing somewhat slowly, and I don't think I will mess with those. The middle part is mostly English ivy and some pachysandra with a few starts of I think virginia creeper. The sunniest part has the English ivy, pachysandra, bishops weed (I think), and a grape vine that I could probably try and train up.

My question to the more seasoned gardeners is what should I pull, and what should I encourage? Ideally I would like to have only one groundcover in each section, but I don't know which of those can be sucessfully pulled out - I'm already working on the bishops weed. The house was unoccupied during the bulk of last years growing season, so there are a lot of young plants growing that we aren't sure were planted on purpose.

Comments (2)

Sponsored