Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadedjc

Planting Crownvetch

shadedjc
18 years ago

Hi,

I just got some Crownvetch, but no instructions for planting. Anyone know how far apart to plant? I have a hill that I want to plant them on.

Comments (5)

• helenh
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Be careful they are invasive. I tried several times to grow them and failed; at last I was successful. Now I can't stop them.

• ironhat
    18 years ago

Just be sure that you have the crown side up and the root side down. Plant right up to the crow but noy quite covered. Yes, they do want to invade so don't put them anywhere that they aren't welcome. And, as withall new plantings, keep them watered for the first month. Here in PA where it was developed by Penn State, it is used extensively along embankments along the highways.

• waplummer
    18 years ago

It is NOT for the small lot. Use it only in a distant area.

• Peter12561
    18 years ago

To get it established- grow it with annual ryegrass, to hold the soil but not compete too much with it. Keep it watered the first season or two. It likes sun. Control other weeds. After a few years, it forms a dense, slowly expanding mat that looks good, and mostly keeps other plants from growing. For more detail, see the references. I hope this helps.

http://cropsoil.psu.edu/extension/livingmulch/sec94a.cfm and
    http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/written_testimony_of_fred_v1.htm for history from the son of the biologist who 'discovered' it.
    although they talk about using herbicides, I think these two links give a good idea of what to expect from crownvetch.

From http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/2004/articles/crownvetch.htm , I excerpted the most relevant portion:
    "...'Penngift' is the lowest growing in height, is finer stemmed, and is the most attractive looking of the three cultivars.

Crownvetch has other growth characteristics that help it to succeed where other plants fail. It grows well on infertile, sandy, gravely-rocky, clay or shale soils that range in acidity from 5.5 to 7.0 and lack organic matter. These soil conditions are often encountered on highway embankments. It is cold hardy although young seedlings can be winter killed. It is fairly drought tolerant once established and it is reported to be disease tolerant although research has shown that it has disease problems as well including various stem, root and crown rots. Crownvetch grows best in full sun and becomes stunted and thins out under heavy shade. The natural decay of the old dead plant matter also adds organic matter to the soil....

It is noted as a prolific seeder although it is slow to establish itself by seed. The seed takes as long as two growing seasons to become established. When excessive vegetation competition exits from other grasses or forbs, the crownvetch establishment is delayed. It is generally seeded with a nurse crop of annual ryegrass that will germinate quickly and help hold the soil in place while the slower growing crownvetch germinates and sets seedlings. The seeds have an extremely hard seed coat and have to be treated before they can be used in seeding operations. The seeds, like other leguminous seeds, germinate best when inoculated with bacterial cultures that help to break the seed coat. The seeds are produced in pods and mature about three weeks after the end of the flower bloom. Crownvetch can spread by seed, but since the seeds have difficulty breaking the hard seed coat, the plant can't spread as aggressively as some other invasive plants or as quickly as some literature would have you believe. The plant is said to 'creep' since the roots will also put up new plants during each growing season.

Many sources of crownvetch literature from other states, indicate that it readily invades prairie and other open communities. The term 'readily' is not a very time specific description. Crownvetch can be a vigorous grower and can spread to adjacent sparsely vegetated areas if the conditions are right. Crownvetch will spread to other areas over a period of time if they are not being actively farmed, grazed, mowed or otherwise tended or maintained. We know that crownvetch establishment in Pennsylvania may take several seasons before it can successfully compete with other vegetation for the available growing space. The term 'tended or maintained' is a key factor in crownvetch's reputation for invasiveness. The plant can be controlled and contained in a certain location by regular mowing maintenance, agricultural operations like tilling and the use of herbicide treatments. Continual close mowing will drastically reduce the plant vigor and eventually kill it.

Two other noted characteristics have helped to firmly establish crownvetch as a prime plant for highway embankments in Pennsylvania:

1. The established plant provides a spreading, heavy, top growth soil cover that breaks the impact of rain droplets hitting the soil, reducing the capacity of the droplets to dislodge soil particles that lead to erosion. The strong branching root system also holds the soil together preventing the probability of soil erosion.

2. The spreading top growth forms a fairly deep and dense mat that helps to shade out other plant seedlings trying to invade the crownvetch. This is highly desirable from PENNDOT's perspective since this suppression of growth of other vegetation, especially woody species, delays the eventual maintenance necessary to keep this unwanted vegetation (native or non-native) away from the highway travel lanes."

I think that says it all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crownvetch's Role in Vegetation Management

• gungnir88
    18 years ago

the link that peter12561 left for the crownvetch was very informative! thanks

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area