Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me save my transplanted Vinca Minor

Posted by jolie_jardin 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 23:03

Hi there -

I transplanted a bunch of vinca minor from someone who wanted to get rid of it. It was really healthy where it was, but it was growing in lots of pine needles, pine cones and sticks. So when we dug it up, the roots came out, but no dirt came with it. There was so much of it and with out the dirt, it was so light we rolled it up like sod. I loosened the dirt where I wanted to plant it and laid it out, trying to wiggle the plant to bury the roots in the ground. I sprinkled compost over it, and tried to work it down to the roots. I've been watering it every day, sometimes twice a day. Some of it is doing pretty well, some of it is pretty dry. I was wondering if I should use some kind of gentle fertilizer that won't burn the foliage to stimulate root growth? Or maybe I can pull it up again, water the soil really good, scoop up the moistened soil and smush it onto the roots before I put it back? Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me save my transplanted Vinca Minor

I grow a lot of vinca and it usually takes a while to show that it is doing well. If I plant a nice plant it just kind of sits there for a couple of years and then takes off. I would say just doo your best and relax. I would not fertilize til next year. the compost is enough for now and put some more on in fall. Vinca is a plant that is good for drier, poor soil so don't worry too much, just give it time.

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 8:11

Transplant life:
First year sleep
Second year creep
Third year leap

Relax. Water, sun and time will do their magic.

o

I transplanted some vinca minor variegeta from my mom's garden about 3 months ago and it is just started to look happy again. When I first moved it I was really nervous because I put it in the horrible clay soil by my house hoping that it could withstand it. So I have been keeping an eye on it, and it is starting to spread a teensy bit, though I hope it speeds up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here