Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sturdy ground cover zone 7

Posted by harmonyfarms (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 23:15

I live in upstate SC and have a sloping area on the side of our house. It gets afternoon sun. I have a few shrubs but need some type of ground cover to keep it from washing. We have pine straw there now.

The major problem is that I have a young child who sometimes walks and plays over there. Anything sturdy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sturdy ground cover zone 7

I can't help you right now but in a while I might be able to. I am doing an experiment with 3 different evergreen groundcovers to see which can hold up to the heat and sun here. The two that are supposed to be able to take light foot traffic are creeping thyme and roman chamomille. The other one I am trying is dianthes deltoids. I started them from seeds to save money so they just recently went in the ground so I don't really know if they will survive yet.

JP

o

We're just trying out Dutch White Clover seed on an area that we just recently had graded into a gentler slope. We bought from Outside Pride and bought because it said Perennial, and would grow even in builder's subsoil! Sowed it a week ago and the area is greening up nicely.

o

You might look into creeping raspberry. It has become more widely available and inexpensive in my area this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here