Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to control/conain pachysandra

Posted by lcohen 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 29, 06 at 23:35

I am about to plant some pachys and would like to contain them to a specified bed - wondering what the best way to do this is? dig a trench around, edging etc? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to control/conain pachysandra

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 7:59

My front yard landscaping beds are all trench-edged and I have no problem containing the groundcovers.

Make a V cut, but at two different angles. On the grass side, cut straight down perpendicular to the level of the grass.

Then go stand in your plant bed and make an angled cut to form the V. My trenches are about 8 inches wide at the top.

The pachysandra roots will grow toward the exposed soil of the angled cut and turn back toward the soil of the bed.

Try not to fill the trench in with organic mulch. It will eventually break down, creating a growing medium for the pachysandra roots to grow into and you'll have the same problem all over.

This type of edge also makes mowing easy and edge-trimming unecessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here