Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cumpaniciu

Vinca, you've brought me to my knees!

cumpaniciu
16 years ago

After reading these forums and learning just how invasive vinca is (I was able to see that first hand in my garden) I decided to get rid of it and cover with mulch instead.

I bought a gallon of Round-up, sprayed it, waited for two days but no result. There were some vaguely yellow leaves, but most of the groundcover was lush green, just like before. I decided it's time for more drastic measures. Took out my 8HP lawnmower and three hours + a dull blade later I had only mowed 200 of 600 square feet. Now I ended up with 200 square feet of thick brown roots, and they are so tough that I lost any hope of getting them out. Plus, I have some rhododendrons and trees in the area, and cannot use any brute-force mechanical devices.

Time to raise the white flag. I gave up!

I'll deal with the invasiveness by cutting as appropriate, but now I need to repopulate the damaged area. Is vinca quick at restoring itself, or do I need to put even more effort into getting it back to where it was when I started? Does it like the same fertilizer as the rhododendrons?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored