Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under fir trees

Posted by pacnwjudy z7OR (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 2:30

I may be a zone 8. I'm never quite sure.

I have two huge fir trees that, of course, are shady underneath. The put out debris just about all year round. I'm hoping to find an evergreen groundcover--something--for this spot. It's the parking strip under these trees.

I tried ajuga chocolate chip. That didn't work because the plants were quickly buried under needles or those light little brown things in summer. I have a little leaf blower, but I would have to use it every day all year to grow the ajuga.

I tried saxifraga London Pride. It looked good, but still the debris collected in the plant and couldn't be blown off with the blower.

I have one rhododendron in the center. That works pretty well because the debris falls through and I can use the blower to remove it.

At any rate, I'm looking for something for the rest of the area, under one foot, and evergreen. The azalea Hilda Niblett is 1' by 3'. Would that work? Or are there other ideas?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under fir trees

The area under large conifers tends to be rather dry - all that massive roost system sucking available soil moisture plus the tree canopy deflecting rainwater. I'm surprised the rhody is doing at all well, as they typically resent that type of location without careful and consistent attention. For that reason, I'd look to something other than an azalea to fill the bill.

Two possibilities I'd suggest are workhorses for dry shade and both evergreen: Euphorbia robbiae or Sarcococca humilis. Not the fastest GC's to establish and both have the potential to exceed 1 foot (12-16" is more common for both) but very dependable, hardy for your area and well-adapted to a dry shade situation. Texture and growth habit should be adequate to allow the conifer debris to fall through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here