Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover ideas/help for large area

Posted by Mary287 Buffalo NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 8:17

I have a large raised bed on my property (I am quessing about 75 feet x 20 feet) that has 15 full grown pine trees in it. We have it mulched every year, but would like to plant ground cover. After some research, I think Sweet Woodruff would be the best (?) as we want something that will fill in the area quickly! Any other recommendations? And how many plants..... well, how far apart should I plant as to get the area filled in quickly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover ideas/help for large area

Hi Mary, I'm in the middle of an experiment for groundcovers under my spruce trees. I planted pachysandra, ajuga, sweet woodruff and Siberian barren strawberry and I am going to see who does the best. I won't know until a year or more from now but perhaps you could try a similar approach? Perhaps the diversity will also look appealing as well.

o

Thank you! I did buy a flat of ajuga (which is a drop in the bucket!) If it does well, I will get some more. I just love sedum, but I'm not sure how it would fair under the trees.

o

Funny enough, I just planted some Sedum ternatum which prefers part shade. I'm not sure how it would do in dense shade. It's also a US native, which I was very excited to discover. It has such a pretty shape to it. I planted it on the north side of my house and it seems to be doing well so far. I included a link about it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum ternatum

o

I moved some ajuga under some big limbed-up pine trees last year and it's done very well.

I also have several heuchera under the pines, so if you wanted something a little taller, maybe that would work for you.

Both do well in this rather difficult dry shade area.

o

HI Mary,

Any woven weed control will work (at lease one hundred grams).

Hope that helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Like this

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here