Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plays_in_the_dirt

Beacon silver lamium

plays_in_the_dirt
18 years ago

Does any one know what this plant likes...

How much shade it takes....my main question

I have a small garden for my girls and I wanted some thing to brighten up the space.....it is in pretty much all day shade.Will this plant grow in deep shade?

Comments (7)

• rivers1202
    18 years ago

Quote:
    [ Will this plant grow in deep shade? ]

Yup. As long as it's dry shade. Lamiums don't like soggy conditions. They'll rot if planted too deeply, or if the soil stays too wet. Other than that, they aren't too picky. And if you are just now planting the lamium, don't expect too much from it the first season. Once it gets established, though, it'll spread like crazy. Some people claim that it's invasive, but I haven't found it to be so. It's easy to remove if it spreads where you don't want it to.

Have fun gardening with your girls.

• plays_in_the_dirt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply.I hope I soon will be able to get a few plants.So I'll keep in mind about it taking awhile to take to its new home!

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

:) that's a great way to lighten up a shaded nook.

woodland phlox is a great choice for the same area- it makes fairy wands of lavander flowers in the spring, and if it gets even a little sun, it spreads fast.

in both cases, you can encourage spreading by light mulching over the stems after they have flopped to the ground, or discourage it by mulching UNDER the stems, or plopping a rock in its way.

Japanese painted fern is a favorite of mine- it needs about an hour of sun a day to look its best, but the burgundy and silver veins are prettier than some flowers.

one 6-pack starter of impatiens of coleus can go a long way if you pinch them back, and root the babies...not to mention being a great kid project :)

• avalonON
    18 years ago

I love lamium, any kind. Have White Nancy and Beacon Silver--all enjoy semi-shaded area. They have done well in either drought or wet, and put out lovely flowers from spring to fall. They spread slowly the first year and then take off. You can break off pieces of root and restart them wherever you want them. Always look fresh and vigorous, yet easy to thin out. They really light up a shady area.

• Jazz3
    18 years ago

Is this evergreen in Zone 6? Any lamium?

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

mine's kind of semi-evergreen, actually- I've got the white and the silver, and they don't lose leaves or anything, but the get pretty ratty looking by january. but they take frost in much the same way the winter pansies do - and in a sheltered location, mine put out its first new growth in february.

• dorry2
    18 years ago

I planted the Beacon Silver in the spring of 2004 and it looked great, but in August, the center started to turn brown and i thought it was dying. What could be the cause of this?

Mine is planted in a north garden, so it received early morning sun in the morning, but this time of year it is mostly shaded.

Thanks.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz