Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegzhere_gw

Chameleon Plant - anyone have a GOOD experience with it?

pegzhere
17 years ago

I am new here and a pretty new gardener. We have a shady area under deciduous trees roghly 15 yds. x 5 yds in size. I have decided that I want to make it a nice shady garden with hosta among other things. I also would like to have a few different groundcovers - I eventually want most of the ground covered with some sort opf perennial and nto much mulch.

My neighbor has this chameleon plant and it seems there are hgoroor stories 2:1 on it. It is just so pretty though and I would love to try and use it so I am searching out anyone that has a GOOD experience with it that they can share. TIA!!

Comments (8)

• pegzhere
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK - I went back and corrected all my typos in the preview and they still showed up - sorry for that - novice poster here in addition to novice gardener :)

• covella
    17 years ago

It likes moisture and sun - if you give it that, stand back and watch out. Lacking sun but having moisture - continue to stand back. Dry might keep it in check with the tree root competition. I'd just try a small plant of it and see how it does. You don't want to have to water it all the time and it doesn't look that good when it's dry.

Different colors and sizes of hosta will be nice. Once established and mulched heavily to retain moisture hosta will be a very good choice for the long haul. I have a hosta bed planted under maple and oak with heavy root competition. I've now found there is enough dappled light to have the following in addition to hostas:
    Epimedium
    violets and violas
    Japanese Anemone
    Carex Evergold
    Strawberry Saxifrage
    a carpet of Lady Fern and Hay Scented Fern
    Sweet Woodruff
    Lily of the Valley
    I don't have it but I know Cyclamen would grow there
    Cinnamon Fern
    Hesperis matronalis - Dames Rocket

Shrubs:
    Clethra - will bloom in shade
    a small azalea - I think its called Karen
    PJM Rhododendron
    Lindera benzoin - spicebush
    Sambucus

The Hosta I have in this deep shade area are:

Francee
    Francis Williams - needs a little sun to look its best
    Plantaginea
    Inniswood
    longifolia
    Gold Heart
    Krossa Regal

in general I find the longifolia and many of the blues can grow in deep shade and look great.
    F

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

Pegherz: After you correct the typos in the preview you must hit the preview button **again**. The new page will show your post with all the changes and THEN hit the submit button.

If you just correct the typos in the lower box and then hit submit the changes won't take. What ever is in the preview is what gets posted not what is in the typing box.

Don't feel bad. I learned this the hard way - by trial and error.

• nancyd
    17 years ago

Yes, I've had a good experience with it - in my pond. It's very invasive if planted in rich soil, but maybe under a tree would be OK. As mentioned, you may not like it as much because it tends to brown out if too dry. I have bishop's weed (another highly invasive plant) on a dry hill where I don't care if it takes over and it stays contained to that spot. I'm just trying to crowd out the weeds, but as a rule, I think it's best to stay away from invasive plants unless you really have a trouble spot.

Lamium, vinca, pachysandra are some other groundcovers for shade. Use well behaved perennials first. I think you'll like that better in the long run. Any garden planted under or near large trees will need extra watering by you. You're competing with large tree roots which suck up the water and the tree canopy doesn't let alot of moisture in. It can be done - I've got a few spots like that myself, but just know that you have to water more in those beds.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

Some invasive plants I have in dry shade-
    Symphytum ibericum, groundcover comfrey (you'll probably never get rid of this if you plant it)
    Geranium macrorrhizum

Some less invasive, choicer plants-
    Vinca minor- glossy leaves, evergreen, flowers in spring, variegated forms
    Wintergreen- glossy leaves, evergreen, small white flowers, red edible berries
    Anemone nemarosa- comes up in late winter, covered with dainty flowers in early spring, goes dormant in the summer so it needs no watering

I have Houttuynia cordata and like it. In sun, dry conditions, it is not vigorous enough for me as it can't compete with weed grasses or peppermint. In a bed with Pulmonaria and Ajuga it lends very nice color highlights. It still is not aggressive there. Perhaps our dry summers keep it in check. People who report problems probably get a lot of summer rain.

• carolina2005_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

This plant is a nightmare. It was here when we moved into the house. I have been digging it up trying to kill it with roundup and it is still here. Think it thrives on weed killer. Would not suggest you use Houttuynia unless you are really desperate and do not mind it taking over all of your beds.

• jbergagna29_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I read the input on the chameleon plant and wondered if anyone has found a solution? It ( the chameleon plant )truly is a nightmare ~ I can�t get rid ot it and am afraid it is going to take over EVERYTHING before long. I thought it to be a pretty "little" thing when I first planted it ~ there was a warning that said it would "spread" but this stuff is choking out my Hosta, Astilbe, wintercreeper, and moving into the lawn. I would appreciate any input on a solution.
    Thanks

• ignatz713
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to say, JoEllen, the only solution I have found to this plant sold by irresponsible merchants is to dig, dig, dig and then dig some more.

It is HORRID!

I am on year two of hunting and digging, and, for laughs, I put a few specks of the plant - and they WILL thrive - in pots, just to watch it grow and break through the pots, in a matter of minutes I'm sure.

Oddly, here in Westchester NY at least, I had a similar problem with Astilbe. It took over a small garden I had set up for it and was bullying another garden next to it. At least Astilbe, once torn out, doesn't show up from beneath the depths of the earth.

Roaches and the chameleon plant, they will both be here after Armageddon. And this plant is not sold with a warning WHY?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County