Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_13

Versatile Groundcover

michael_13
17 years ago

Hello, everyone. Novice gardener here, so please pardon the naivete. Here's my query: is there some sort of "multipurpose" groundcover that can be used in full sun (for about 70% of the day) and full shade (100%), for no traffic (between plants along the side of a walkway) and occasional heavy traffic (such as between pavers on a patio)? Oh, and if it could be non-flowering, that would be ideal.

Thanks,

Michael

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Wishful thinking perhaps, but in a word, no. You can certainly find a groundcover that would be serviceable for both foot traffic and non-traffic areas, but you run into trouble adding that to one that will transition easily from full sun to full shade.

FWIW, while I don't necessarily advocate planting a bunch of different groundcovers all over, having a couple of different ones to address different growing conditions in separate areas works fine.

If I am reading your username correctly, you are in zone 9? If so, you are not too limited in your choices. Visit a local nursery to see their selection and make a couple of choices - one for sun and one for shade.

• michael_13
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, gardengal48. I think we're leaning towards doing away with the shade-tolerance issue, so our biggest concerns now are finding an evergreen groundcover that produces no flowers (or, if any, then white ore green flowers) and that can withstand heavy traffic.

Please let me know ifyou have any thoughts.

Michael

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

LOL!! - it's commonly known as "lawn" :-) Seriously, common turf grass fits your requirements as well, if not better, than any other GC. Few will take very heavy foot traffic for very long without showing signs of wear and distress - even lawn grasses will show some signs eventually.

But here's a couple that will work also:

Rupturewort - Herniaria glabra
    Bolax - Azorella trifurcata (this one is very tough!)
    Corsican Sandwort - Arenaria balerica (less tough)
    Elfin thyme - Thymus praecox 'Minus' (syn. Thymus serpyllum)
    White Creeping Thyme - Thymus serpyllum 'Albus'
    Scotch or Irish moss - Sagina subulata

FWIW, all vascular plants flower in some form, although some are so inconspicuous as to be nearly invisible. All of the above can flower, but the flowers are either very tiny or very infrequent and will be in shades of white, greenish yellow or a very pale pink. There are other GC's that could work, but would have showier flowers and perhaps even a larger growth habit, making them less suited for between pavers.

And, I'm still unsure of your hardiness zone, so not sure all of these would work as well for you - they all thrive in my zone 8.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    17 years ago

Dwarf mondo grass works for the shade or partial sun;it does not spread outside the cracks (like thyme will, for example) but gives a nice green relief to paver cracks and can take some traffic.I use a lot of it here in zone 7 because it has a high survival rate for me in shade or partial shade and drought, grows in clay soil or nearly gravel soil. I don't think it likes full sun, like all day direct sun, but can certainly take a lot of morning sun ; But if you have a patio that will be virtually trampled for hours, you need sand or mortar or gravel between pavers. Depends on whether you just want some decoration here and there vs. you don't have adequate material between pavers. Also depends on your worst-case scenario--if one or more plants like the paver area and work most of the time and then you have a party and some get smashed (the plants, that is) , can you replace and say oh well.