Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Part-sun GC that out-competes grass?

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 12:30

I'v e been reading some of the other posts about planting ditches and recommendations for groundcovers for under rose bushes. Which groundcovers can out-compete vigorous grass?

A swale was put in behind my property and the developer blew some sort of grass seed w/fertilizer all over every surface to stabilize the raw soil. It's quite tall stuff with wider blades than fescue. I planted shrub roses at the top of the swale after pulling up grass and putting down 4+ inches of mulch. The grass keeps running rhizomes up and over into the bed and I haven't found a way to totally keep the grass out.

What ground covers may work for me? The area gets bothsunand part-sunexposures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Part-sun GC that out-competes grass?

sujiwan- I have some of that grass from hell, it's very hard to deal with. A black plastic barrier or weed fabric might suppress it over time, or it might find chinks to grow through. I think killing it out would be your best bet.

A gc I have that is tougher than grass is ground cover Comfrey, Symphytum grandiflorum. I haven't tried it under roses, just under fruit trees. It gets around 6-12" tall. Vinca major once established is tougher than most grasses, though some can seed into it. It gets rather tall, though. Most of my other good gc lets grass grow up through it, so it's really hard to get rid of the grass- Vinca minor, Rubus calycinoides, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, etc. Mulching really deeply to partially smother the grass and partially make it easier to pull out might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here