Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice Plant

Posted by rosanne4153 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 14:05

I have ice plant covering the hill behind my home. It's been there since we moved here, which was 17 years ago. In the past few months, I've noticed that it's dying. About 75% of it is dead and I can't figure out why. It's important for it to be there since it provides stability to the hill, and because of it we've never had mudslides into our backyard. There is also a house at the top of that hill, and the people in that home are kind of worried since the plant is dying. The hill is our property, so we're responsible for doing something about it. I know something needs to be done, but I don't know what. Will extra watering of it bring it back or is it too late once it's dead? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice Plant

A few years ago, I noticed that a lot of plants along my fence were dying. I am quite sure it was due to the neighbor using a lawn service that used weed killers. Some of my goldfish also died after the lawn service man did his thing. I told the neighbor I wanted to be there the next time that man came. He never showed up!
If you have an Extension Service in your area where you could send or take a soil sample would also be helpful.

o

If we need to plant something on the hill to replace the ice plant that died, should we just use ice plant again, or is there something else you can suggest? And if we do plant ice plant, how do we do that? Do we buy seeds, or do we just cut some off of the remaining ice plant and plant those cuttings in the bare areas on the hill? Thanks again for any suggestions.

o

There's a possibility that your ice plant is just dying of old age. You can easily replant with cuttings. Cut off some newer growing plant ends - long enough to get at least two leaf nodes sections underground. Pinch off the leaves on the underground part of the cutting and just stick it in the ground. Spray the cuttings daily for a few weeks or until it is obvious they are doing well. Ice plant cuttings grow really well. You might consider buying some other colors of ice plant and making the hillside more interesting. I don't envy the amount of work it will take to remove the old ice plant but if it's dead - it's dead . . . and should be removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here