Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
groundcover for steep, very rocky slope?

Posted by GoodMachine z6NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 05 at 14:32

i have a large slope too steep for grass. also, due to shortcuts taken by the excavator during home construction, you can't jab a shovel *anywhere* and not hit a rock. rocks have migrated to the surface, but there's still enough soil for something to take root in. half the slope is shady all day, the other half gets full-on sun in afternoon.

any recommendations for ground covers that are very aggressive? i have over 1500 square feet to cover. variety is nice- different colors, heights, sizes. any ideas are greatly appreciated! thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: groundcover for steep, very rocky slope?

If you want an aggressive alternative, us crown vetch(deciduous). That stuff will eat your slope. You could also go a more tame route, and use vinca minor. It will cover the hill in a nice evergreen blanket. It will also take bot shade and sun, and show blue flowers in the spring.

o

:) you're local, so I can tell you there's a TON of choices, and half a dozen of them come with low-cost options.

things like Lamium, goutweed (false dead nettle) , spiderwort, and the local daylillies can be planted anywhere along the length of your slope, and they will adapt just fine- they will grow faster on the sunny side, but take shade very well indeed.

all of these will root in the darndest of places- and one plant will become five in just one year. The second year, you can break clumps up and spread them out, adding a layer of mulch, and by the third spring, the slope should be stable enough (and a living layer of topsoil created) that you can plant things like ferns, woodland phlox, and smaller hostas.

for the sunny side, the spiderwort and daylillies just grow faster in the sun, and can be joined by carpet roses, standing or creeping phlox, or sedums... and the sedums in particular are SO easy to propagate- break off a branch, let the end dry out, insert in dirt, keep from drying out completely for a week or so (or stick them in a pot of damp potting soil in the shade for a week) and they make roots. one quart size plant can make 12 babies in a month, and in another month, be ready to harvest again.

:) and if you're close to trenton, I can give you starts of the spiderwort and a sedum with little gold star-flowers.

o

my first thought for the sunny part was creeping sedum. This stuff is great! Grows in full hot sun, shallow, poor, rocky soil, and as chinacat said, is extremely easy to propagate. I have a variety (westeinphaner (sp) gold) that turns a burgundy color in fall and winter.

I'm still experimenting with shade groundcovers. Ajuga does okay for me. I keep hearing how aggressive it is, but (so far) for me it is not at all. After several years I'm still not overjoyed with its (lack of) spread. But I've also killed off chameleon plant and bishop's weed (not trying to, mind you, lol!) so you may have better luck with the ajuga than I've had.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

o

Thanks everyone for the great info!

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 0:11

Not a fast spreader, but I like the odd look of hen and chick. They seem to be able to grow any where.

o

If you are in northern NJ, I have lots of variegated Bishop's weed you are welcome to!

o

If you are in northern NJ, I have lots of variegated Bishop's weed you are welcome to!

o

I have spiderwort to divide this fall if anyone wants some.
E-mail me at
evelynshackleydesigns@yahoo.com

Anyone have anything to divide they want to share this fall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here