Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

dwarf mondo grass

Frankie_in_zone_7
18 years ago

I want to use dwarf mondo grass to cover about a 10 x10 foot area. Since it spreads just by expanding, and not rapidly by runners, I'm wondering how to keep costs down, get coverage best & fastest, and still keep up with mulching and weeding until established. Is it better to buy, or divide clumps into, the smallest sprigs possible and plant closer together, on principle that each clump expands slowly from its perimeter anyway, or to use bigger clumps (4 or more inches) placed farther apart? Lots of sprigs would be harder to mulch/weed, perhaps, but would sort of look like an overall groundcover, sooner. One local nursery has 4" pots for about a $1.19, but still that would be over $100 if set as-is on 1-foot centers! Each one of these can be divided into 2 or 3 clumps that are still a nice little chunk. I will do some research for better prices, especially in volume. Also, this area will be relatively dry (meaning my in-ground sprinkler system does not reach it, but I can water well until established and intermittently after) but will have pretty good amended soil to encourage root growth & expansion.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21