Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering vinca minor/periwinkle

Posted by Jerapais_69 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 14:50

I just planted thousands of bare root myrtle on a steep hillside which is part shady, part sunny, part wet and part dry! Clay soil. Located in Zone 6. Anyone have insight on how often to water and how much? Planted last 2 weeks of May of this year. THANKS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering vinca minor/periwinkle

And I have no intention of being cheeky with this......as often as necessary! Truly, it is impossible to tell anyone how much or how often to water. There are far too many variables involved that just do not translate over the Internet.

You do not want the plants or the soil to dry excessively. Neither do you want the soil to remain excessively wet. The slope, possible lack of water penetration due to clay soil and also sunlight would indicate more frequent watering required than would be on a flat, looser, lighter soil and more shady situation. Weather will also play a big factor. Frequent checking of both the plants and the soil conditions will be necessary through the summer and then water accordingly. You can start slacking off when temperatures begin to cool in fall and normal rainfall commences.

o
RE: Watering vinca minor/periwinkle

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 20:38

SOunds like you have found the perfect plant for that location. If you can spread some mulch it will keep the soil moist between rain or your watering. It has been my experience if this plant dries out it's not happy, so don't let the soil dry out if you can help it. Purchased mulch such as compost might be cheaper than replanting! I dislike bark mulch. You want something that doesn't form a tight mat that water can't penetrate. Used coffee grounds free from St*rbucks with a light layer of mulch over the top reduces cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here