Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

why does the variagation run away?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

I posted this question last year about why my sedums and hens and chicks seemed to lose the pricey variagation shortly after i bought them. I was told here on GW, to put them in more sun. So I moved them to full sun and waited....

and then I thought well maybe next year will different....

and it next year..

and they still don't have the variagation. The hens/ chicks are still plain green and the sedum which was once vividly white/grey-green has no white.

I have dark sedum and hens and chicks and they keep the color fine. it's the white color that eludes me still.....

So I wonder what the nursery does to get it and why i can't

Karen

Comments (5)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,

Some sedums revert back to plain green quite easily--'Tricolor' is especially a problem this way. Anytime you put in a variegated sedum, watch for green shoots coming up and pull them out as soon as you see them. If you do, it should maintain its original color.

I'm not sure what's happening with your hen & chicks, but do you know that a lot of them are different colors in summer and winter? That could be what's happening. If you bought them when it was still cold out, they may have had their winter color and now they've got their summer clothes on. Wait till it gets cold out again in fall and see if you get the same color you remember buying. Usually they'll be more green in summer, and darker red or whatever over winter.

Skybird

• FlowersForMyFarm
    18 years ago

I don't know the answer but thought I'd share this with you as a thought. I recently purchased a sedum with light orange/yellow foliage. The lady I got it from told me to be sure to plant it in "poor" soil, well draining and not too rich in nutrients - similar to a cactus soil mix. She said that if it was planted in richer garden soil that it would not keep it's unique coloring and it would turn all green.

I also have a lot of different hens and chicks and I have noticed that the ones I have planted in my outdoor cactus garden (in cactus soil) are much more colorful than the ones that I have planted in my regular gardens with black dirt and fertilizer. Maybe it's the difference in the soil?

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmmm? I wonder if the soil IS key????
    thx Karen

• littlekinder
    18 years ago

OK, this may not apply, but I asked the same question regarding my variegated Turk's Cap. It's new seedlings are green, and not the fabulous white/green tie dye plant I bought. Here's what I learned on the Texas forum:

Variegation is produced by a virus in the plant. I was told that it is NOT something that the nursery can reproduce, it is genetic and random. The green seedlings I have are just the "healthy" versions that don't have the virus.

This may or may not apply to your succulents. But it would make me tend to want to avoid rich soil. If the color is maintained by "poor" health (you know what I mean), then fertilizing might "heal" up your variagation.

I'm just so frustrated with this same problem in my yard!

• eileen_nv
    18 years ago

The variegation can be a genetic characteristic or from viruses as said above. In both cases, tha characteristic can be "lost" in new shoots. For most variegated plants you need to watch and pick out the all green shoots when you see them (also as mentioned above). This way you are only letting the plants with the variegation genes (or the virus) grow on, and you will maintain the color. Some genetic variegations are very hard to "revert" (mutate back to green) and in these plants the pretty colors are more stable.

Sponsored