Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner looking for groundcover advice please

Posted by canuck-eh Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 17:06

Good day everyone!

I live in southern Ontario, downtown Toronto. Small front yard with west exposure and a large chestnut tree.

I put down some pavers and would like to plant 3 inch wide strips of groundcover to fill in between the pavers.

I would like a groundcover that will do well with partial sunlight, reasonably dry conditions (although I think I will get an irrigation system to mist the area in the mornings), I would like the groundcover to be dense and green, but not too tall (between 3"-5" max)

Groundcover that is fairly hearty, and doesn't need a lot of attention would be ideal!

Thank-you very kindly for any recommendations you might have for me!!

-Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner looking for groundcover advice please

What about an ajuga cultivar? (I understand the straight species can be rather aggresive) I'm growing 'Chocolate Chip' and it does great in part sun and grows low and densely.

If the spent flowering stalks bother you, a weed whacker works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Chip Ajuga

o

Terrific advice! Thanks!!

I have never heard of that plant before. I had resigned myself to just using some variety of thyme, but this sounds like a nicer alternative!

o

You're welcome!

The nice thing is that it fills in fairly quickly and you can hurry that process along by separating the offspring from the parent plant and spacing it further.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here