Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need groundcover for clay soil in Sierra Nevadas

Posted by HoveGator CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 18:07

We just built a cabin in the Sierras (Arnold, CA). There is absolutely NO landscaping other than the tall pines. The cabin is on a pretty steep slope and i can see that the soil has been running off down the hill due to rain.

What choices do i have for groundcover that will prevent soil erosion and a big mess of muddy red clay!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need groundcover for clay soil in Sierra Nevadas

I'd look locally...the sierras are generally a wilderness, and the last thing we want is to tell you to put in something that's going to wind up invading...

some runoff is inevitable with new construction, and is kinda normal- they displaced a huge amount of dirt, and some of it shouldn't stay piled up around the house anyway.

but my knowledge of california's all about the flats, and none about the hills... though if you check the 'california gardening' forum, there are long-term residents who can point you in the right direction :)

o
RE: Need groundcover for clay soil in Sierra Nevadas

Hi there I know this is an old post but just thought Id say Hi neighbor. We live in San Andreas. Have lived in the area for 15 years. Check with the nurseries in Arnold or Murphys for native plantings. I didnt see if you were looking for shade or sun.

Julie
juliecarson@goldrush.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here