Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sedum kamchaticum

Posted by swtnsassy 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 18:41

I live in zone 7 in Arkansas. I have a rock bed that has Sedum kamchaticum for ground cover.

When it first started growing it was sooooooo pretty. However, the leaves are now turning yellow and it looks as if it is dying. Our temps have been in the upper 80's and 90's and I have been watering them every 2-3 days. Do you think I am overwatering it? I am thinking I might be, but even some of the leaves are wilted looking. They ARE planted very shallow. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kimberly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sedum kamchaticum

Sedum kamchaticum is a tough plant, and extreamly drought tollerant. Watering shouldn't hurt the plant if the soil is bone dry. The biggest problem I have with my sedum is ants. They love to create nests and will cause the plant to die. Check the area, and if there are no ants than only water if the soil is dry. Also, make sure nobody has sprayed herbicide near the plant. Herbicides can drift from 100 feet on a mildly windy day.

o
RE: Sedum kamchaticum

I wonder if maybe you are overwatering? Are you checking the soil before you water? I have a large swath of this on a dry rocky slope near the street, in hot full sun with the reflected heat from the asphalt, and I hardly ever water them.

Is this a new planting for you? I'd check that they are firmly planted, and then check the soil before watering. Hopefully they will spring back for you. This is a tough plant and hard to kill.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here