Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca propagation

Posted by ShellBell_3434 z7 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 19:02

I have a shady area under my pecan and Arizona ash trees that used to be covered in vinca. My dogs, over time, have just about trampled it to death. I put up a border around this area and also a walkway through it and the vinca is coming back. I want to speed up this process. How can I propagate the vinca? It has long vines running everywhere. Can I just cut the vines and replant them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca propagation

Yes you can just cut and replant--but it is easier to serpentine layer them. This means that you weave the long vines in and out of the soil. When part of the stem is buried under the soil vinca will root in almost no time at all! I would probably dig up your vinca that is close together and move your plants so they are equally distributed then serpentine layer the vines as well--this will give you full cover in almost no time at all. By the end of the season you will be pleased--by next year you will be amazed!

Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here